Thursday, August 11, 2011

Courageous - A Must See Movie!!!

It has been a few years since I posted. I apologize for that.  My last post was about the movie Fireproof so it is only fitting that I review (without spoilers) the movie Courageous.

My wife and I went to see a pastor and community leader's preview of the upcoming movie Courageous two weeks ago.  It was a long drive to Pittsburgh but it was worth it!

I don't want to give anything away so I will simply say that Courageous has become my all time favorite movie.  It is a heartwarming and somber tale of the importance of fatherhood and reveals at least a small piece of why our society has fallen to the depths it has.

You can really see the growth that Sherwood Baptist Church has achieved in every aspect of making movies.  The script is excellent as is the cinematography and acting.  I found myself wanting more and it is my hope that when this movie is released on DVD that they will give us a director's cut version that will include the scenes that were cut simply to fit the movie into the two hour maximum time that theaters prefer.

Often you hear in reviews, "I laughed and I cried" and this was never more true than in Courageous.  They expertly cut the tension of the drama and action with scenes of tenderness and humor.  The reality is, I was weeping through half of the movie as I was drawn into the story.  Not all of my crying was because of the drama, in at least one scene I was laughing so hard I was crying.

Not only was I entertained by a great story, but I was also stirred by the revelation of my own inadequacies as a father.   I realized that I need to improve greatly in the fatherhood that I am modeling for my sons and in how I demonstrate manhood to both my sons and daughters.

Courageous opens in theaters on Friday, September 30th and I want to encourage everyone who is reading this to go see it on opening weekend.  This will help increase the number of locations where it is showing and by extension, allow more people to see the movie.

As far as the PG-13 rating it received goes, this is an entirely arbitrary rating.   There is no foul language of any kind, no blood, no gore, minimal violence (a couple fights as police apprehend suspects and a bloodless shootout) and no sexuality.  I have seen PG movies that were FAR more graphic in all of those areas.

For other pastors and ministry leaders out there I want to exhort you to not only go see Courageous on opening weekend, but to encourage your churches and ministries to go see it on opening weekend as well.  I plan on making this a church activity on opening day.  I realize that this is probably considered very unorthodox, but it is worth it and I can do it with a clear conscience.

To see the trailer, other scenes or video of the production just click on the word Courageous wherever you see it in this blog.

No comments: